I’m writing to share information about one of DoD’s most prestigious single-investigator awards, the Vannevar Bush Faculty Fellowship (VBFF), and to encourage HBCU/MI researchers with DoD-relevant interests to consider applying.
VBFF is sponsored by the Basic Research Office, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (USD (R&E)) and is managed by the Office of Naval Research (ONR).
Per the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA), VBFF seeks to support ambitious, single-investigator research efforts that have the potential for transformative impact. The program’s objectives include:
- Supporting unclassified basic scientific and engineering research that could be the foundation for future revolutionary new capabilities for DoD.
- Educating and training student and post-doctoral researchers for the defense workforce.
- Fostering long-term relationships between university researchers and the DoD.
- Familiarizing university researchers and their students with DoD’s current and projected future challenges.
- Increasing the number of talented technical experts that DoD can call upon.
For more information on VBFF, including a list of key deadlines and a link to the FOA, please visit the link below:
Important Note: To be eligible to apply for VBFF, potential investigators must register at the link above by Wednesday, August 26, 2020. Investigators who do not register in advance will not be allowed to submit a white paper.
Another Important Note: There isn’t a requirement for the research topic to align with DoD’s existing portfolio. As a result, OSD will not answer questions such as “Is my idea relevant to DoD?” or “Is my idea innovative?” The goal of the program is for the investigator to convince DoD their idea is innovative and a game changer.
Last Important Note: Finally, please be sure to read the FOA carefully for information regarding eligibility, review criteria, and other pertinent matters. For further clarity after reading the FOA, please direct questions to Dr. Reginald Williams, at email@example.com
All the best,
Anthony C. Smith, Sr.
Department of Navy’s (DoN) Historically Black Colleges
& Universities/Minority Institutions (HBCU/MI) Program
875 N. Randolph Street
Arlington, VA 22203
(Office) 703-696-4590 – (Mobile) 703-927-0337 – (Email) firstname.lastname@example.org