The Office of Foundations Relations is pleased to share this open call for funding from the Simons Foundation. Please forward the call to interested graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in your departments and divisions.
UCSC Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Funder: Simons Foundation
Opportunity: Simons Postdoctoral Fellowships in Marine Microbial Ecology
Deadline: May 13, 2022, 5pm EDT
The Simons Foundation invites applications for postdoctoral fellowships to support basic research on fundamental problems in marine microbial ecology, with an emphasis on understanding the role of microorganisms in shaping ocean processes. The foundation is particularly interested in applicants with training in different fields, as well as applicants with experience in modeling or theory development. The foundation anticipates awarding eight fellowships in 2022.
Please consult the list of past awardees.
- Short personal statement, including a summary of prior research experience. If you are changing fields, please comment on the relationship of your past and proposed work. (1 page)
- Brief research proposal with title (2-3 pages, plus references and 1 page for figures)
- Biosketches of the applicant and sponsor, including publications. Do not include funding sources for the applicant’s graduate work.
- Technical abstract
- Letters of recommendation from thesis advisor and two additional research scientists, who should address the applicant’s potential for future leadership in the field. A letter of support from the postdoctoral research sponsor, who cannot be the applicant’s thesis advisor and who must acknowledge acceptance of the applicant to their laboratory. Confidential letters must be submitted through ProposalCentral (see instructions) by May 13, 2022.
- Budget (three years)
- Brief budget justification
- Renewable reagents and data-sharing plan
- Signed signature page with institutional approval to document the commitment from the fellow’s institution(s) to administer the fellowship
Award Amount & Terms
- The award is for three years.
- Annual stipend of $65,000 and an annual allowance of up to $25,000.
- Payment cannot be made directly to fellows.
- No indirect or overhead costs may be charged.
- Policies and procedures governing this award can be found at the following link.
- Applicants should have received their Ph.D. or equivalent degree within three years of the fellowship’s start date.
- Preference will be for applicants with no more than one year of postdoctoral experience.
Please notify the Office of Foundation Relations if you are interested in applying to this opportunity (email@example.com). Please submit a proposal intake form prior to UCSC’s internal Institutional Deadlines. For support developing your proposal, please contact the Research Development Specialist assigned to your unit or send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Office Foundation Relations is a unit of University Relations. The FR team creates and maintains mutually beneficial, long-term relationships with private organizations, matching grant initiatives with educational and research programs and centers. FR supports faculty and staff to identify and approach these and other private foundations and corporations for funding, to assist in strategic positioning of the grant application, and to facilitate funder campus visits.
For a list of recent funding opportunities, please visit the FR website. FR Calls for Funding