Hiring a Graduate Student Instructor
Graduate Student Instructors
A registered graduate student hired to teach a course (not just TA the course). See CCI GSI Appointment Policy
GSIs are normally hired at 50% if teaching a regular 5-unit course. May be appointed for less than 50% (e.g., when co-teaching) or for more than 50% when the course carries a heavier workload (e.g., has a lab component). Departments must obtain Graduate Division approval for appointments that exceed 50%.
GSIs must be paid at a rate on the Associate salary scales. Department determines pay rate based on student’s qualifications/experience.
GSIs are covered by the UAW collective bargaining contract.
- DEPARTMENT uses the below instructions to complete an Online GSI Teaching Request Form. (You must be logged into your UCSC email account to use the form and view these instructions)
- Online Workflow Overview for GSI Teaching Requests (Written Overview with Instructions)
- GSI Teaching Request Approval Process (Training Deck with Screenshots)
- DEPARTMENT receives final decision email from CCI and sends a department letter to their Personnel Analyst which includes the recommended salary (see salary scales), percent time, course to be taught, TAS or other funding information and the GSI’s CV.
- PERSONNEL ANALYST sends the GSI an appointment letter from the Dean.