Call for Applications for UC Santa Cruz/UC Merced Faculty Workgroup
on Advancing Diversity in Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
UC Santa Cruz has been awarded a grant from UCOP to convene a faculty workgroup in 2020-21 to work on several aspects of inclusive hiring in partnership with UC Merced. This group will comprise seven faculty from UC Santa Cruz and five faculty from UC Merced, and they will be charged with the following:
- Review the literature on faculty research about inclusive faculty hiring
- Disseminate findings and best practices across campus
- Develop rubrics for assessing other parts of applications
- Develop new fair hiring training and produce a training manual for search committees
- Collaborate with the workgroup at Merced on each of the above in monthly virtual meetings
UC Santa Cruz members of the group will receive a course release, and the chair will receive two course releases. The literature review in fall quarter will be assisted by a graduate student researcher. This project is joint with UC Merced, where a parallel faculty group will be convened. The two groups will meet by zoom once per month to collaborate.
More details are available in the project proposal. The overarching goal is to learn from published faculty research to improve the inclusivity of our faculty hiring. This knowledge would be shared both by the workgroup this year, as well as in future fair hiring trainings given by the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs.
Applications are accepted through this google form, where we ask for a brief statement of your interest and your experience with inclusive hiring practices. Applications are due by Friday, September 4.